Tuesday 1 September 2009

Compagnies franches de la Marine by Vernet












One of the interesting things about these port paintings for me is the depictions of French marines - they show an amazing amount of detail. How this translates to New France is unclear though as there's no evidence that a collar on the justaucorps or the giberne (shoulder strapped cartridge box) was ever worn by Marines in the Americas. However they do offer a fascinating insight with a dark blue facing colour, anchors on the turnbacks, a bonnet a la dragon on the giberne cross strap and much more. You might wonder why you usually see CfdlM recreated in a mid blue if these pictures show it a dark almost navy blue? I think the answer is Louisbourg - when they were researching the Marines they came to a conclusion that it was a light blue. I think it was like this but what do I know?

3 comments:

  1. Interesting discussion on the blue... may be actual uniforms lead them to believe it was a pale blue... but colors could have simply faded... but same here, what do I know?
    By the way, the ignorant me is learning from you about all these distinctions... which regiment was where... Where can I find which British and French regiments were in the Lake Champlain Valley (my place of interest) during New France time?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I think they have a book of wool swatches of the period but I think they have probably faded and what do I know either?
    It should be relatively easy to find out who was where and so on. There's a book 'Redcoat Yankees and their Allies' which deals only with the Lake George Lake Champlain corridor - on google books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder when these were produced? I note the long weskits/waistcoats. Good pics, good post.
    Regards, Keith.

    ReplyDelete

Minisink 245 years ago.

  Read about it here The Battle of Minisink  took place during the  American Revolutionary War  at  Minisink Ford, New York , on July 22, 17...