Tuesday 18 August 2020

Barkskins - some thoughts

 

Well I have watched three episodes of this and I don't really understand the plot, but I am a little deaf so that doesn't help. The sets are great. Really exceptional. Clothes are pretty good. Way too many beards. They all look like they should be in Gettysburg. Indians don't seem to look like 1690s much more like 1812. I suppose it is worth watching. Weren't the filles de roi earlier than the 1690s? I should add Susan my wife is enjoying it immensely so we shall watch the next one.

2 comments:

  1. Just finished season 1. Wasn't sure for a while that there was going to be anyone left alive for a season 2...

    I found it engaging, but almost unnaturally Machiavellian - like the Sopranos arbitrarily set in 17th c. New France. Hard to find a character to root for beyond the stoic Rene du Sel.

    Material culture depiction of the Natives was typical Hollywood drivel. The Wyandots, especially, looked like extras from Star Trek TOS (fur lined cloth sleeveless tunics? Really?) I did like the sets, for the most part: Waubik and the properly fortified 17th c. Wyandot village. Many smaller details, of course. Wyandots with English trade knives vice French boucherons, etc., but these I expect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today's episode (for me 5) had a couple of Compagnies franches de la Marine in so that was nice but yes the Natives are a fantasy. I don't like them all speaking with French accents either.

    ReplyDelete

Hessian in the U.K.

 This portrayal is 2 years in the making. Von Donop 1776. By Marshall Beresford.  Very good. Check out his Facebook page here .