MAA: German Troops in the American Revolution (2)
During the American Revolutionary War (1775–83), German auxiliary troops provided a vital element of the British war effort. While the largest body of German troops was from Hessen-Cassel (see the first volume of this study), the first Germans to be contracted by the British were from the Duchy of Braunschweig-Wolfenbüttel – 4,300 men including dismounted dragoons, artillery and light infantry. Hessen-Hanau initially contributed one infantry regiment and an artillery company, which were also captured at Saratoga; Hessen-Hanau later provided the British with Jäger and light infantry troops. An infantry regiment contributed by the Principality of Waldeck and Pyrmont served alongside the troops of Hessen-Cassel during the New York campaign of 1776–77. The margraviates of Brandenburg Ansbach and Brandenburg-Bayreuth initially sent 1,600 men including a full regiment of Jäger; these troops fought in the Philadelphia campaign of 1777–78 and some were present at the siege of Yorktown in 1781. Finally, the Principality of Anhalt-Zerbst sent two battalions of infantry which served in Canada and New York City. Fully illustrated, this lively study examines the organization, appearance, weapons and equipment of these German auxiliary troops who fought for King George in the American Revolutionary War.
Post a Comment